Home Home About Unforgettable Moments Email Me Image Map

Saturday, February 22, 2014

In Bloom

Just a quick post this morning; I have a busy day ahead of me! There was a big focus on science this week, as we got further into our Needs and Characteristics of Living Things unit.

Science
We did a little bean seed activity I have heard about and then found on Pinterest. You place a moist paper towel in a Ziploc bag, and put a bean seed between the towel and the bag. You hang it in the window and you should be able to see the roots start to grow.


We planted them on Wednesday and they still looked like this on Friday when I left. I hate to be a negative Nelly here, but a part of me doesn’t think this is going to work. I hope I’m wrong! Either way, I told the kids that there are lots of scientists whose experiements don’t work. They just try again another time…

…Hmmm. Come to think of it, it goes along nicely with our big idea about PERSEVERANCE. Okay, I’ll no longer be bummed if they don’t grow. It will just be a new teachable moment.

­Math
We continued measuring with non-standard units. They had a blast estimating and measuring how tall they were using a straw. They estimated that I would be 56 straws tall. I must look like a giant to them!


Art
We always end our Fridays off with art and I sometimes find myself in a rut because most of the time, I put more effort into the activity than I get out of it from the kids.

But not this time.

All week, the kids at the art centre had one simple job: paint a piece of paper. By Friday, I had sheet after sheet of painted paper, all with different designs and textures. We used them to make Eric Carle art.



I read them The Tiny Seed and they made pictures of flowers. They turned out great! These artists literally worked until the last second to perfect their masterpieces.

A spiral-cut centre makes a great 3D flower!




And that was our week! Next week is another short week for me because I have TLC planning {Teaching Learning Cycle} to plan with my grade partners for our March units. All these short weeks are making February fly by!

Enjoy the end of the Olympics. I’m so proud of all our Canadian athletes; especially the women’s hockey team. Fingers crossed that the men will play just as well tomorrow. I’ll be watching, bright and early.

No comments:

Post a Comment