Home Home About Unforgettable Moments Email Me Image Map

Saturday, February 15, 2014

A Week of Celebrations: Olympics, 100th Day, Valentines Day

What a busy week it was not only in Grade One, but in the entire school. Academically, it was tough to get through a lot of the planned content; but socially, it was such a fun and exciting week.

The Olympics
Each class chose a country to represent. Ours was Ireland. I know that you never ever hear of Ireland dominating anything in the Olympics, but since I travelled there last year I thought it would be cool to show the kids some of my pictures so they could see what Ireland looks like. And who doesn’t love watching videos of Ireland online where the narrator has a very attractive accent?

We had the opening ceremonies in the gym where someone from each class ran through with their country’s flag. We had a student run in and light the torch (it was fake, don’t worry), and we all stood and sang the national anthem. I’ll be the first to tell you that I’m the most over-emotional person in the world, but there were many others who were really touched by the whole thing. It was such an awesome moment for our school.

The entire day was spent outside where the kids rotated around different stations. I was in charge of the biathlon. There were no skis or guns (obviously!). It was more of a team relay. Lots of fun!

100th Day of School
During our morning math routine, we took the big celebratory step of taking all those pennies and dimes off our piggy bank and placing a big loonie up there to represent our 100th day of school. 100¢ to represent 100 days. Sorry, I forgot to take a picture. I’m sure you can use your imagination.

I made them this booklet to complete throughout the day. Click HERE for a copy. {None of the borders or pictures are my own.}



This was my favourite answer. This little one is such a dilly-dallier, so his answer was too perfect.



I also showed them what they would look like when they are 100 years old. I took their first day of school pictures and used an Aging Booth app on my phone to work some magic. To join in on the fun, I made one for myself too.


Pretty hot stuff, I know


This is how the conversation went:

Me: I made a picture of me when I’m 100 years old, too!
Boy: Let's see!
(I show him)
Boy: You look exactly the same!

Some other thoughts:
-“You look like the wicked witch!”
-general shudders and lip curling

I had to go find solace in all that candy they had given me just to continue on with the morning.

I also started the morning asking them what they would buy if they had $100. So many of them said they would buy a hot tub! They’re so hilarious.

Valentine’s Day
Oddly enough, it fell on the same day as the 100th Day. Well, the primary classes may or may not have all had a different number in the 90s last week and decided to just make the 100th day the same as Valentine’s Day.

The kids spoiled me and I spoiled them.

 The cupcakes I made them for our party. 


How awesome is this rainbow loom?!




Found this idea on Pinterest. Type your message in the box and it generates it into a heart-shaped message. Each kid got a personalized one in his/her card. Click HERE for the link.


 My homemade cards. They thought the phrase, “Just ducky” was so funny.

Another Pinterest find. THIS IS NOT MY STUDENT. I found heart décor at Dollarama, taped it to the Smart Board and got them to blow kisses. They turned out fantastic!

In science we are learning about the environment and I read them The Lorax, so it was only fitting that they would watch the movie for our party.


And with that, I am partied out. I hope you all had a nice Valentine’s Day with your loved ones. And Go Canada Go! 12 Olympic medals to date!

No comments:

Post a Comment