Home Home About Unforgettable Moments Email Me Image Map

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Supply Teachers, Assemblies, and Workshops… Oh My!

My kids had a total of three different supply teachers this week, as well as two assemblies. So as you might imagine, this week wasn’t our most productive week. On Tuesday, I had a prep payback (due to a previous supply teacher shortage, I had to take my kids during a period that I normally had a prep, so the school had to give me that time back). Right after recess, we had an assembly. On Thursday, I had an appointment to go to, so I was off until lunch; but my kids go to drama for an hour, so I only saw them for 40 minutes that day. On Friday, I went to a workshop for Kindergarten and Grade One teachers, so I left my class with a supply and another assembly to attend. My kids always give me the third degree whenever I’m not there, which is really cute because they just want to make sure that I’m okay. Because of this chaotic week, I really don’t have too much to share.

We read two versions of Little Red Riding Hood; the original and an adaptation called, Honestly, Red Riding Hood was so Rotten! You all know by now how much my kids love these stories.



We continued our work with our 2D shapes, symmetry, and skip counting in our Candy Land. I gave them this activity to do, allowing me to assess their knowledge about 2D shapes. 



At first, I gave them a blank area and let them draw it, but it was so hard to determine what their shapes were. Like all good teachers do, I put that R word to practice and REFLECTED on how to make the task better. Colour coding seemed like the logical choice.

Tuesday happened to be our 50th day of school, so we had a little 50s party! Some of them came to school wearing polka dots, dresses, preppy sweaters…but my favourite was my one boy who gelled his big, curly hair down into a comb over. It was priceless! We made root beer floats, and listened to some 50s hits. They really enjoyed "Good Golly Miss Molly" (for obvious reasons). As we were making our root beer floats, our school’s speech and language pathologist popped in to chat with me, and one of my boys approached her and said, “I’ve had SO much beer today!” I really hope he didn’t say that to anyone else in the school that didn’t know that he was actually talking about a root beet float!



I know this is a very short blog post, but that’s what happens when I’m not in the classroom with the kids very much. I really missed them! For now, I’ll leave you with our shared reading for the week. 

(A poem that went nicely with our current weather, as well as our work with nouns and adjectives)

I just got in from a big day of Christmas shopping. I now have all the gifts for my boyfriend's family and a few things for the people in my family. After a long and successful day, it's time to rest up and get rid of this step throat. That’s right. Strep throat. AGAIN. I’m tellin’ ya, I just can’t seem to stay illness free this year!


27 days until Christmas break / 27 days until I’m far away from all the germs : )

No comments:

Post a Comment