Home Home About Unforgettable Moments Email Me Image Map

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Seriously, Ms. Lawrence is SO Forgetful!

I’m that person that will tell you the same story a thousand times in your lifetime. What usually happens is I’ll tell you the same story more than once in the same day. I shared this bit of information with my class and they thought it was hilarious; especially since I read them a Snow White adaptation called, Seriously, Snow White was so Forgetful! I swear, the books in this series are hilarious.

What I didn’t forget were all the parent/teacher interviews I had on Thursday and Friday. I have 18 kids and I saw 17 families for one on one interviews. The 18th family spoke to me on the phone. It’s nice to know that the families of my onesies are so involved in their children’s learning and social growth. Every single one of my families are so sweet and nice, and I don’t think there was one interview where we weren’t laughing about something. As a teacher, it’s great knowing that you have support from your students’ families. It makes various situations that much easier.

In our world of Candy Land, I introduced them to the rides. I think we had enough imaginary pizza, cotton candy, and pop for a while. The point of the rides was that for each ride they went on, they had to use five tickets. The questions I gave them reinforced the counting by fives skill. For those who really grasped counting by fives, I would give them high numbers in their problems, such as:

[Student] went on 8 rides. How many tickets did he use?

And those kids would run up to me and say, “I was soooooo dizzy after going on that many rides!” It was too adorable how excited they got.



I also returned to the 2D shapes piece in math and told them that our Candy Land was doing so well with all that money we earned from the restaurant, that I have decided to open up another Candy Land in a new location. Thus, (yeah, I said thus) we need to become architects and design the new restaurant for the new Candy Land. When I explained to them what an architect is (that an architect designed our school) they. were. pumped.

They had to use and identify the 2D shapes in their restaurant layout. It was an easy way for me to determine who knew their 2D shapes.



We ended the week off with some Eric Carle artwork. I read them A House for Hermit Crab and we made our own hermit crab art that I got from this website:

How great do these look?




It went well with our shared reading we looked at this week.



We began learning all about nouns and adjectives. I time travelled a little bit and found this song on YouTube. It’s from a computer game I used to play when I was little called Jumpstart Second Grade. The song was clearly catchy enough that I remembered it after all this time.



Here are some other pictures from our classroom this week.





Oh, the random things they leave for me to find! As she says, “Have a good weekend!”

No comments:

Post a Comment