Home Home About Unforgettable Moments Email Me Image Map

Monday, April 7, 2014

A Scientific Experiment: Materials

One of the expectations in the Grade One Materials, Objects, and Everyday Structures unit is to:
"Describe the function/purpose of the observable characteristics (e.g., texture, height, shape, colour) of various objects and structures, using information gathered through their senses".

We’ve already covered the 5 senses in our Needs and Characteristics of Living Things unit, and we went on a materials scavenger hunt the other day, so the kids had to use their prior knowledge to help them with today’s task.

I brought in four objects



I was aiming to go with all spoons of various materials, but it’s pretty challenging to find a rubber spoon. A spatula did the trick.

I sorted them into groups and had them rotate between each object’s station and fill in this chart. You can get the chart for free by clicking HERE!



Some kids were in awe that there were multiple stations where the object/item was a spoon! Just the reaction I was going for ;)

As they filled in the information in the chart, they realized why I gave them more than one spoon to observe.



When we were all done, we gathered back together and had a discussion about what they noticed about all the objects that have the same purpose.

THEN…

We took our experiment to the next level and learned two new words to add to our science vocabulary: absorb and repel.

Grade Ones have to be able to “describe the properties of materials that enable the objects and structures made from them to perform their intended function”.

So we explored some of the properties of these four objects. If they all serve the same purpose, how are they different?

We soaked each object in water for 10 seconds, then wiped it dry with a paper towel. We learned that plastic, metal, and rubber repel water, while wood absorbs it.



I told them that whenever I bake goodies for them (which I do quite often), I don’t like to use a wooden spoon when I bake. We pondered it and discussed it and they determined that perhaps I don’t like using wooden spoons because they can’t be rinsed easily and they take longer to dry when I’m doing the dishes afterwards.

Smarty pants. They know me too well!


And that was that! A fun, rich, and engaging science experiment to end off a marvelous Monday. 
TGFD-Thank God for Dollarama…and their wide variety of affordable spoons.

No comments:

Post a Comment