Home Home About Unforgettable Moments Email Me Image Map

Friday, December 6, 2013

The Big Gingerbread Raffle

Hi there! After a nice and busy week with my onesies, I offered my neighbourly services to a family down the street and agreed to watch their kids. I have spent the night hanging out with my little buddies, and I. Am. Pooped. But they’re really cute so that’s okay. They’re both in bed now, so I’m snuggled on the couch watching and laughing hysterically as I watch Modern Family. Since I have a rather busy weekend ahead of me, I figured I’d better blog about the week; and let me tell you. It was a great week. A great week indeed.

Our two Grade One classes took turns each recess Wednesday through Friday selling raffle tickets for our two gingerbread houses. Each morning, Mrs. Cater and I chose two kids from our classes to advertise the event on the morning announcements, and the turn out was unbelievable. I tell ya, I won’t be surprised if one day way down the road (when I’ll feel extremely old) I hear that a handful of my kids turned out to be very successful salesmen. They pulled out their puppy faces. They smiled those devilish smiles. They literally chased people down the hallway. They used their outdoor voices. They sold those tickets! The turnout and support from the kids and adults at our school was just wonderful.

We announced the winners this afternoon and once all the kids had left for the weekend, I counted all the money. Ready? Drumroll please….



d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d…



d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d…



d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d…


We raised…


d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d…


OVER $200!!!

Mrs. Cater and I were practically dancing with joy. We raised much more than we had anticipated, and I can’t wait to tell the kids, and Connie at A Cup for Africa. Even more so, I can’t wait until our letters are written and we can send our Uganda buddies their big Christmas gift. Money can’t buy happiness, but it can certainly help give those less fortunate a wonderful holiday season.

Some other stuff we did this week:

Literacy

I read them The Gingerbread Mouse and they wrote a diagnostic letter explaining why the character is so fortunate. I can tell they are going to be awesome letter writers. 




Math

We continued with algebra with a focus on equality. The kids solved a variety of problems similar to this over the week. 



They’re really getting it. I’m a proud teacher : )

The other fun stuff

I just love holiday stories, so I try to read as many as I can throughout the week that are "just for fun" stories. No writing task; nothing to assess. Just listen and enjoy. Great for transitioning. 


I changed the book a little so that instead of saying "Toronto", I'd say "Keswick". That got them excited, alright!

A cute little book about Santa's helpers who kick it into high gear when he gets sick. 

I had them do an Elf Yourself activity. How great are they? I'll hang them up in the gym for the Holiday Concert for all to admire. Click the pic to be redirected to the original link. 

Ever wonder how Santa chose his reindeer? This book as all the answers. 

I modified my glass bead activity at the Writing Centre for the holiday season. I know I never blogged about those beads, but all you need to know is that it took a lifetime and half to make all those letters. 

Our first stop in our Christmas Around the World journey was Holland. 
Click the picture for the YouTube link. 


Last but not least...


Our Friday art lesson was spent making Christmas tree ornaments. They just need to dry over the weekend, then I'll add some Christmas coloured wire, and they'll be ready to go home. Click here to see where I found my Pinspiration.

Well friends, I'm off. Have a lovely weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment