Home Home About Unforgettable Moments Email Me Image Map

Monday, December 30, 2013

In a Christmas Coma

The Christmas festivities are finally slowing down and I was feeling a little blue today because of it. I really miss hearing Christmas carols in stores and on the radio. I just know that the time to take down the tree and the decorations is just around the corner. Rob and I hit up the mall to heal our post-holiday blues and found some relief via retail therapy. Boxing week sales-retail therapy to be exact.

I still have my big family Christmas coming up this weekend so that helps things as well. There’s something else that always perks me up and that’s planning and creating stuff for my lovely little learners. I actually don’t think I’ve gone this long before without doing any work; so even though it’s still the Christmas break, I decided to sit down for a few hours today and get some serious work done!

I have done some very engaging units since September and I want to keep that ball rolling. I really wanted to do something that would appeal to my boys and what better unit of study to throw at them than something involving huge, vicious, monstrous creatures? Yep. Our next unit is all on dinosaurs!

I struggled for a little bit with this idea because after all, dinosaurs are not in the Grade One curriculum. This is where I had to figure out how to make this very cross-curricular so that it would relate to other areas that need to be taught. I decided to make it part of my literacy program because there’s a lot of room for creative freedom there. I wanted to focus on non-fiction texts for both reading and writing, so I will expose them to texts all about dinosaurs and have them write magazine articles about the dinosaur we learn about that day.

In science, we will be starting the Energy in our Lives unit, which will tie back nicely to our topic of dinosaurs. After all, many people believe that a meteor and lack of sunlight was the cause of the dinosaurs’ extinction. See how I connected the dinos to something in the curriculum? Not too shabby, if I do say so myself. I don’t plan on explicitly making this connection as I teach. My hope is that they will notice it all by themselves.

From other posts, you may know by now that once I get an exciting classroom idea in my head, it’s pretty much all I can think about. I went to Dollarama today for batteries and instead ended up hitting the jackpot on dinosaur items for the classroom. These will be great toys for the kids to play with at the Storytelling Centre. I also have an idea in the works involving the platter, green balls, and Spanish moss. Stay tuned for that in a later post.



I plan on telling the kids that for the month of January, they get to be paleontologists, as those are what the scientists are called when they study dinosaurs. They love when they get an important role, and I’m pretty confident they’ll totally dig the idea.

Ha. I’m hilarious.

On a completely different note, remember I used to do those little “Currently” things from Oh Boy Fourth Grade? Here’s one for December. With one day left, it’s better late than never!



Wishing everyone a fun and safe New Years Eve! I’ll talk to you in 2014…

No comments:

Post a Comment