Home Home About Unforgettable Moments Email Me Image Map

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Leaf Art and Candy Questions

This week we read stories that were set in the summer time. My kids and I LOVE the Mr. Magee stories, so I read them Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee, which they later wrote a retell for. These books are really a lot of fun, and they’ll be excited to find out that I have one more up my sleeve for next week. They are getting really good at writing retells and using the success criteria to help them include all the expected parts. Since it was a short week, we only had time to write one retell.


In math, we learned what it means to estimate. I showed them a Ziploc baggie filled with mini Kit Kats to see if they could make a reasonable estimate-which they could. Then they became obsessed with asking if they could have the candies. We are also continuing our work with number sense by creating combinations to make numbers up to ten. We worked with variations of this question throughout the week, both in pairs and independently.



Again, they were dying to know if I would actually give them treat bags with the candies inside. I said, “Not a chance!” But don’t worry; I’m not a mean and crotchety teacher. I just want to save the sugar rush for a day closer to Halloween. Preferably on a Friday…at the end of the day.

I found this book in the library that I’m going to use next week. Sure, it’s about estimating and that will work nicely for our quick flashes, but most importantly, LOOK AT ALL THOSE DUCKS!!! As soon as I put it on the chalkboard ledge, the kids pointed out that I must love the book because of all the ducks.



Speaking of ducks, we had pajama day on Wednesday and I wore my new ducky PJs I got for my birthday. They were a real hit.



A few weeks ago we went leaf hunting in the school yard, and my kiddies picked NINE bags of leaves. Then I had no idea what to do with nine bags of leaves. Needing them out of my classroom, I turned them into an art project to go along with our unit on texture and value.




I love the dog house and bird bath


Here are some more pictures of the classroom from this week.
Our shared reading for the week. Our focus was on "th" and "sh" words.

 Counting by 5s and 10s
 Visual schedule cards for one of my kiddies.

A story about what we have to do in each season

We have been at school for 31 days

No comments:

Post a Comment