Home Home About Unforgettable Moments Email Me Image Map

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Chalk Art

One of the expectations for Visual Arts is for the students to “express their feelings and ideas about art works and art experiences”. I wanted to find something really cool to look at and talk about. I figured if I chose a painting that wasn’t important to them, they wouldn’t be engaged for very long.

So with the help of Google, I searched for sidewalk chalk art. Sidewalk chalk art is amazing. I’ve never actually seen it in person, but the pictures online are incredible. It’s amazing how the artist can transform an every day flat surface into a spectacular piece of art that plays with your eyes and your mind.

I showed the Grade Ones five photos one at a time and talked about each one.




As the first image I showed them, they thought it was real for a good 10 minutes. They were shocked when I told them it was all art.






I was really impressed when one little girl shouted out, “Hey! It’s the Beatles!”


They were so into it. We talked about how one piece made some of us feel amazed, and how the same piece made some of us feel scared (I’m talking about the lava one).

I had prepared to have them write out their responses, but we had already done so much writing that day, I thought it would be better to keep up the momentum and assess their reflections and responses orally. I had them determine which piece they liked the best and stand with others in a group. I walked around and listened to them as they told each other why they liked it and what they felt when they saw the art.

As an extension to this activity, I brought them all outside and we made our own art with sidewalk chalk that I brought in. There were fabulous beach scenes, rainbows, sun shines, and of course, a duck.

Just trust me; it’s a duck.





They know me too well.

No comments:

Post a Comment