Home Home About Unforgettable Moments Email Me Image Map

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Guided Reading Strategies

    Guided reading is probably the most important element of the literacy block because it's the time you get to sit one on one with your students and assess their reading abilities, doing all you can to move them forward. I love guided reading for this very reason. I learn so much about my students and get to see how well they use the reading strategies I teach them. The thing is, there are so many strategies to use, it can often feel overwhelming for the little readers. I have been fairly consistent verbally identifying the strategies, but for some kids, this can be really hard to remember. For example, they all know what "chunking" is (finding smaller chunks in the word that they already know), but using this strategy may not come to mind without teacher prompting. 

    That's why I fell in love with these cards I found on The First Grade Parade Website. It's important to understand that I did not create these resources. They are methods I certainly use in my classroom, but the names and adorable pictures are the work of another great teacher. Sometimes having a fun visual can make remembering reading strategies much easier. And it's pretty fun to say "chunky monkey" when you're reading. It really gets the kiddies laughing (which is the best sound in the world)!


    I use these cards in my classroom. Maybe you'll enjoy using them too. 


    Click here to be redirected to the original blog for these items. 











No comments:

Post a Comment