Home Home About Unforgettable Moments Email Me Image Map

Thursday, May 23, 2013

A Surprise Visit



    When I graduated Teacher’s College last April, there were no teaching jobs in York Region. I could have travelled and moved to another board or even another province or country, but I really didn’t want to move. It wasn’t because I didn’t want to move away from everything I knew (although that was a big reason); it was because I really wanted to teach in York Region. I grew up there, I did my teaching placements there, and I knew that was where I wanted to teach. I decided to stay until the end of the year and volunteer until my summer job started. When there were still no job postings in September, I continued volunteering on a full time basis. That’s how I gained so much knowledge and experience in teaching Grades One and Two. I was fortunate enough to be able to teach and learn alongside Melissa and Stacia.

    Then, one chilly February day, the occasional teacher’s list came out for the Primary and Junior divisions, but only if you had music qualifications. Coincidentally, I had just finished my Instrumental Music Part 1 AQ in December. I applied, and in March I was interviewed. By the end of April on a Friday afternoon, I signed my occasional teaching contract. I went back to volunteer the following Monday, thinking that whatever days I wasn’t supplying, I’d still go in to volunteer. I was called out that afternoon and hadn’t been back since.

    Having been volunteering all that time, the steady work and pay cheque was wonderful. I was getting calls every day and meeting lots of new students and teachers. It was bitter sweet though because I didn’t get to see my students anymore, let alone say a proper goodbye. I had no idea I would be so busy right away!

    I keep in touch with Melissa, so I told her I wanted to pop by for a visit. I wrote the kids a letter, telling them how much I missed them, and that sometime soon, I would try to come in for a visit. Melissa read them this letter, but did not let them know of my impending visit that we had arranged. Even not knowing when I’d be by, they all had some surprises ready for me when I dropped by this afternoon. You should have seen it. I knocked on the door, they looked at me, did a double take, and then 21 little bodies were running at me, yelling, “Ms. Lawrence! Ms. Lawrence!” and forming the best group hug known to mankind. They were all asking me to look at their smiles, where in the last month, each kid averaged three new missing teeth. I couldn’t help but tear up at the love and cuteness that surrounded me.

    I wish I could have stayed longer, but I had a lot of running around to do today (which is why I had booked the day off). I promised them I would come back again closer to the end of the year. I would assume that in the last week of school, occasional teachers won’t be needed as much, so maybe I can get a few more days in with the kiddos that made the past year as great as it was.

    I leave you with pictures of some of their little gifts to me. There’s something about Primary spelling and drawing that just melts my heart.


This one made me laugh...
Girl: "This is the school and you're standing in it, eating an ice cream cone. I forgot to draw your head, though."


Popsicle sticks and Disney princesses. A creative masterpiece!
A little bit of tape and some white pipe cleaners and you've got yourself a white rabbit


Our class :)



I love how some of them spell my last name




Allow me to translate...
"I'm happy to see you. You're the best teacher I had ever had. I'm glad to see you. It has been a long long time ever since I saw you"

My personal favourite...
A bracelet with a clamp so I can carry my keys on my wrist. Too cute!


No comments:

Post a Comment