Home Home About Unforgettable Moments Email Me Image Map

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Happy Halloween!

Some teachers really dislike Halloween because let’s face it-it’s a chaotic day where little to no instruction occurs. I happen to love Halloween. I think it’s a fun day where everyone can let loose and show off his/her creativity. If planned and managed correctly, it doesn’t have to be as chaotic and out of control as people may think.

Last year, my Grade One class won the Pumpkin Contest with our Mike Wazowski pumpkin. This year the Grade Threes and Fours wanted to make a minion and we created this masterpiece.



We didn’t win, but we had lots of fun making it, and received lots of compliments. Then I took him home and put him on my own front porch where the neighbourhood kids could admire it.

I’m a big fan of Halloween and all spirit days, and this week we had a lot of them. We had black and orange day (but I don’t actually own orange clothing so I had to get creative with my nails) and wacky hair day (no picture-just picture lots of pipe cleaners).

 (I know, I’m an artist)

And now for Halloween day. This year I dressed up as a cowgirl, which surprised all the kids because they were convinced I was going to dress up as a duck (which is actually a fantastic idea for next year).

I didn’t actually bring my cat to school, but this is how I greeted the kids at my own house. Zelda was a big hit!

Here’s the one thing I don't like about Halloween: the scary costumes. I know I sound like a baby, but there are some costumes that I really don’t like. The one I’m really talking about is the Scream guy. I saw that movie when I was 11 (when I was trying to like scary movies like all my friends) and I suffered from nightmares for years afterwards. So of course it was just my luck that one of my own students walked up to me in this costume. They all got a real kick out of legitimately scaring me. 

For our Halloween party, we watched Hotel Transylvania and ate cupcakes that I baked for them.

I think it was a great way to end the week; and may I just speak on behalf of all teachers when I say, thank goodness Halloween landed on a Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment