Home Home About Unforgettable Moments Email Me Image Map

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Setting the Classroom Climate

    I’m sure you’ve had your fair share of bad days. Have you ever had a bad week? A bad month? A bad year? 2012 was a tough and challenging year for me, for many reasons I won’t mention here. My goal is to make you smile and feel happy, not to bum you out. Anyways, the classroom was my happy place. It was the one place where I felt relaxed and “just right”. I thought I was doing a great job at masking all the other stresses in my life, but it was starting to seep through and make an appearance. I guess I had a day where I just wasn’t myself and as hard as I tried to mask it, my bad mood was taking over. I have never once, ever yelled or lost my temper with a student or a class. Sure, I use a stern voice if I’m displeased, but I never expose a bad temper. That’s just not who I am. I don’t really get mad. My associate teacher, Melissa, who happened to naturally take on a second role as my “therapist”, sensed that I was having a tough day. She gave me a hug and a piece of paper. This is what it said:


    It really opened my eyes to the fact that children pick up on their teacher’s moods. I knew I had the right to feel the way I was feeling; you’re not supposed to be happy and perky all the time. Life has its ups and downs and I was battling the down. “Leave your problems on the other side of the door” is something I had heard over and over again in all sorts of situations. It’s not always as easy as it seems. From that day on, I really focused on leaving the stress behind and just enjoying myself and the kids in the one place where I am in my element. Some people shop, some people sleep, and others exercise to rid their lives of stress. For the stresses I can’t get rid of, I turn to teaching--planning, marking, creating--to enter a place of harmony. A bad mood can be infectious. Don’t let it spread to and taint the beautiful happiness of a child. Make sure their classroom is a place of happiness and comfort as much as it is yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment